Recent

Author Topic: A bigger bumpboard  (Read 475 times)

Offline Str8Yakn

• Ultra Light
A bigger bumpboard
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:46:42 PM »
This has probably been brought up a many times before but you would think that with how big kayak angling is getting that one of the manufacturers would make a bumpboard that goes up to 40” or 48”, no?  Why can’t Plano make their current 36” expandable one a 36” to 40”or 48” expanded but of course a little bit wider cradle and a lot more durable?    I know there’s that big white Muskie one that cost an arm and a leg that when unfolded goes from 30” to 60”, but man does it look too bulky. 

Since I have access to a metal break at work I decided to make one myself.  I made a 48” double walled aluminum trough style bump board with a piece of HDPE as the bump part of the board.  I got someone to make me a measurement decal that was accurate but was a pain in the ass to install because each measurement line and number was a individual decal and it was hard to apply the full 48” piece all at one time, so I cut it into 6 inch sections.
I’m pretty satisfied with the end result but I want to try and make another one in aluminum that explands like the Plano boards. 

Joel Gaddi (TheGaddiman)

Wilderness Systems Radar 135
Ascend FS12T
Calgary, AB

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
Re: A bigger bumpboard
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 11:43:16 AM »
I would go with a hinge instead of sliding. With the right hinge setup it could hold itself in place unfolded instead of just flopping around like the musky boards.

Laser engraving would be worth looking into for the marking too, not sure how much it would cost but it would be nice.

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
Re: A bigger bumpboard
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 09:50:31 PM »
Cool board. A white or pale background with black numbers great for pics. Many boards are for use in boat to check length but dont work well for board pics.
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Tags: