Recent

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with Plastic Anchors?  (Read 592 times)

Offline TexasDon

• Ultra Light
Anyone have experience with Plastic Anchors?
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »
I'm going to order one soon.
There look effective and light.

https://cooperanchors.com/

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: Anyone have experience with Plastic Anchors?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
I'm going to order one soon.
There look effective and light.

https://cooperanchors.com/

They look interesting.  I wouldnt be so much concerned about the material as long as it can take a beating, as much as the weight and correct set up to ensure the anchor is doing what its supposed to do.

You should be ensuring that the anchor lays flat in the water to ensure the best possibility of it catching the bottom to keep you as stationary as possible.  Some folks will put out just enough rope/chain to ensure the anchor hits bottom, then wonder why they're still moving around.  They eventually buy a new, heavier anchor thinking this is the way to go... They are wrong.

A good anchor with a good amount of rope/chain will work with an anchor a lot smaller than one would think. 

Mine looks almost exactly like this...
Notice how the anchor is connected at the bottom. then at the top?
The top part is only connected by some light line (25lb test, wrapped around the chain/anchor a couple times).
This allows you to be able to retrieve your anchor if/when it gets caught up on something a lot easier than having it only connected to the top.  You'll lose a lot less anchors this way, and its safer in the event of getting pushed around in high wind situations and getting pushed around...

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline TexasDon

• Ultra Light
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »
Thanks,
What is a recommended average ratio of rope length to depth of water?   4 to 1 ?
I plan on adding a section of chain in front of the anchor (like yours) to get it to get it to start to lay flat and to encourage it to dig in.

I've seen the videos about bolting the chain to the anchor at the bottom end, and attaching and "weaker" connection at the top, in case of a hard snag.

The Aussie ones are recommended to do the same thing:
https://cooperanchors.com/technical-info/

What is the purpose of the yellow float?

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
Thanks,
What is a recommended average ratio of rope length to depth of water?   4 to 1 ?
I plan on adding a section of chain in front of the anchor (like yours) to get it to get it to start to lay flat and to encourage it to dig in.

I've seen the videos about bolting the chain to the anchor at the bottom end, and attaching and "weaker" connection at the top, in case of a hard snag.

The Aussie ones are recommended to do the same thing:
https://cooperanchors.com/technical-info/

What is the purpose of the yellow float?

Id say 4 to 1 is okay, but it may also depend on what kind of water you are in, and wind conditions. if the water is calm you may need more, if youre in a lot of heavy current you may need even more.  I fish in the Bay of Fundy often which have some of the highest tides in the world, and during incoming and out going tides I need a lot of rope (in excess of 100+ft ) so I can be stationary, where in a lake I may only ever use 20-30 ft of rope.

The Yellow float is there to allow you to detach the rope/anchor system from your kayak and be able to come back to retrieve it after you are done. 
You may have a time where you have to detach, and its safer to just release the anchor.  This enables you to come back and pick it up after you are done. 

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline TexasDon

• Ultra Light
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 04:16:36 PM »
What fish do you go for in the Bay of Fundy?

Is that in the Parrsboro area?

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 08:22:17 PM »
The Main goal is Stripped Bass (usually), but you can catch much more.
Flounder (one of my faves to catch)
Skate
Spiny Dogfish
Sturgeon
Eels (bleh)
Tommy Cod
Cod
Mackerel
any a crap load more.

Pretty much a lot of what you'd see in NB

I have fished the I fish the Parrsboro area, however I normally fish other side up and down the coast line from Walton, Blomindon, Avonport, Grand Pre, Guzzel, and further down towards Halls Harbour etc etc.

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Tags: