Recent

Author Topic: KW 2017  (Read 7857 times)

Offline Flyfisher

• Seasoned Angler
  • John 3:16
Re: KW 2017
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2017, 11:14:27 AM »
Great year guys! Didn't give up just struggling with health issues May to July had no drivers license! From there not very confident to drive because what happened to me! Have a good winter everyone! Merry Christmas and happy New Year!
Ocean Kayak Big Game, Pescator Pro 120, Trident 11

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2017, 05:42:04 PM »
Jeremy we know you would be out fishing. Life throws curb balls at people everyday and unfortunately it has effected your fishing 🎣 but not your spirit. 🙏. As long as you can get out when you can that is a bonus 👍
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:43:38 PM by shooter »

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2017, 08:36:19 PM »
2017 Season is over and nothing from the Kayakwars team? Have they abandoned it? Prizes? Congratulate winners? 2018 Season? WTF. Nothing new on Facebook page in months.
Home water is Bay of Quinte!!!!!

https://www.kayakwars.com/angler.php?angler-id=5303
See my Kayak Wars Catches.

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2017, 10:45:36 PM »
Dave let's put the kayak wars fishing in perspective. No rules against warm water discharges or hot pond fishing as they call it. Where the temperatures of the water create an aquarium hot spot for fishing in the months of the winter/spring/fall when temps are down and the fish are concentrated for food purposes. This makes them easy targets and warm water will keep your hands warms so you can take your picks. In the same time of the  year others have to work the water in cold slow fishing presentation and virtually impossible to compete. Hence the reason many top point getters have points through the roof in half the time. You cannot physically compete. Check out the top guys species and you will find these guys. You can compete if you want to sit at your nearest discharge spot and tally up the points. Impossible to ban this practise though and will continue and it is just part of gig. Plenty of these spots around my area  but unless used for fun wouldn't use these fish as points for kwars. Can you imagine the amount of bass we could load up on Dave lol . Unfortunately some guys don't have the same weather conditions and have to deal with ice and colder temps so this is a bonus to catch up. It is what it is.

I love your excuses especially when they are wrong...

My warm water spots accounted for a grand total of 137 pike and skunked me 3 times this year... Take away those pike and I still have over 11,000 points from water bodies between ice off and on. The only reason I bother fishing those warm water spots is to try and compete with US anglers who have warm temperatures and open water year long(somewhat similar to yourself...). How else am I supposed to compete with those guys when my regular spots are frozen for 3+ months...

The reason I do well is because I am proficient at catching every species available to me, I have done the leg work to find the best water bodies for each species, I know when the best times are to target these different species/water bodies and most importantly because I put in a lot of effort to try to win KW. Not only in the hours on the water but also in driving to good lakes(I probably put on 20,000+ kms related to fishing this year) and researching lakes etc. I also think that Alberta is an underrated province fishery wise as long as you are willing to practice C&R and drive to the good lakes.

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2017, 11:03:45 PM »
I would have thought a lot more hours!  You catch them a lot faster than I do :)
Dave

Probably in part due to a few of the water bodies I have available to me out here. There are lakes that I consider 2 fish in a day a good day and there are lakes where I can catch 50+ regularly. Back in the 70s/80s most of our lakes here in AB collapsed due to over fishing and since then they have been pretty stringent on catch limits, to the point where most of our walleye lakes are now run on a draw system like people use for hunting(if drawn you get to keep 2-3 walleye all year out of a certain lake).

It is barely worth trying to fish for food out here and cheaper to buy fish at the super market but if you like C&R there is some good fishing available. I bet I didn't even keep a dozen fish out of my 354 pike and 235 walleye this year...

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2017, 07:35:06 AM »
Not missing the boat on the discharges areas you fish. It is what it is. You have a much different life my friend. The very fabric of this competition is different from individual to individual. I fish when i want to fish and have a full family life with wife/children/pets etc. You have the single life. Totally different. I don't make this into my life goal. Thinking to much into this gig. I fish au natural. I don't need to prop numbers through the roof so people won't compete or quit. Friendly little comp between me and few others enough for me. And yes Peter they will be back /new ownership / new rules/events /site etc. Will wait and see it shortly.   

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2017, 09:48:57 AM »
Tyler. You should save some of your travel money and plan a trip to Ontario to fish in a real kayak tournament. BCC would be a great one to attend. But there are lots more. Lots of guys have more then one kayak and would hook you up with one to fish out of. Every year there are a few more tournaments to choose from. There's KAAO, OKFS and a few more single events. I've heard rumours of another series soon to be announced as well.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »
Great 👍 idea Peter. Can even skip tournies and get out and fish different local waters on both sides of the border for all kinds of species. Pick a season you want to fish. Ive have the outbacks and the sup for using. Or bring your inflatable one. Anybody always welcome.

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2017, 03:53:16 PM »
I was going to come out to the BCC last year but ended up finding a job and had to bail on that idea. This year I would like to come out, it would be nice to come a couple days early and get some prefishing in on the US side since I know nothing about bass.

My problem is time. I have lots of trip ideas but limited vacation. Already planning a big trip to Vancouver Island and been playing with ideas of heading down to Florida as well. That would already use up most of my vacation if I did both though :(.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »
Never enough vacation time ever. Vancouver Island would be a perfect spot over a bass tourney anyday. Way to many fish species to hit here for a visit. Miss Vancouver island from the springtime this year. But snowboarding 🏂 Blackcomb was on my bucket list 😎. The west might be in the card again mid summer. If not the east certainly is and driveable . The offer stands anytime . 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:18:46 PM by shooter »

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2017, 04:38:55 PM »
I'm going to Florida Feb19 to March6 with 4 nights in the Keys. Will have my Outback. Had a blast 2 years ago. Salt water is awesome. Got Snook, Reds,Trout and a few surprises last time. Hoping for a few different species this year in the Keys like maybe Mangrove Snapper and Amberjacks, or a shark would be amazing.

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
Yeah saltwater is always fun, so many species you never know what you are going to catch. I did the inshore thing in Fort Myers a few years ago now and parents have a place there so I have thought of going down. Also want to try the east coast offshore fishery, I have thought about trying to go down for one of the extreme kayak fishing tournaments as they look like quite the events.

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
Was just checking the website to see if there was anything different and the whole website has been revamped and looks like registration for 2018 is now open(I assume the 2017 is a typo). No information on rule changes or prizes though.

Don't think I will bother entering unless/until they make it clear what direction the tournament is heading in.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #133 on: December 30, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
Like i said before the site being revamped into a new one. And i would imagine they will shortly explain whats going on with new team at the helm and what they will be doing next year. Puts a bad light on the site with this interupt again. Hopefully its a good one.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2018, 12:40:39 PM »
Well finally a response from the site with there last take on the season past. Some issues still to clear up and will see what happens. Hats 🎩 off to out Team Nouveau Norsemen  giving the USA boys a run for top spot. But ice in spring and winter early killed the run for top.  And congrats to all the other guys with there great stats 👍. Site needs to be more responsive and clear with up this coming year.  Social media side lacking at mid summer. And could use a blog also for non facebook people that dont have . 🙏

Tags: