Recent

Author Topic: Fishing PFD for Kayaking  (Read 13120 times)

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
Fishing PFD for Kayaking
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:19:22 AM »
I am hoping someone can give me some feedback.  I am looking to buy a new pfd soon and have narrowed it down to two candidates.

Stolquist - http://www.stohlquist.com/dyn_prod.php?k=&p=STO5321

NRS Chinook - http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2150&pdeptid=1682&utm_source=kayakangler&utm_medium=webpointer&utm_term=ka_chinookad&utm_campaign=magazines

I have a OK Prowler with the comfort deluxe seat. (although I am looking at changing this as well) and my current pfd is always in the way.  Any comments would be appreciated.  I am really looking for one that will clear the back of my seat if possible.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:32:57 AM by Chilliwangler »
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
Re: Fishing PFD for Kayaking
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:09:39 PM »
I have the orange one (Chinook), it is very confortable and I am able to wear it all the time (doesn't seem too hot).  I bought the L/XL instead of the universal fit.  My wife tried it and hated it, women are built differently (really?).  I thought I would use the pockets more, but other than putting my glass clips in them when the sun goes low I can't remember what I put in them (likely fly fishing stuff, split shot - I do use, a whistle - safety item, tippet - I do use sometimes, the odd sink tip - haven't used, a pair of nipper on a lanyard -use all the time but that could go on any jacket).  The pockets aren't really designed to hold a whole lot, say like a small tackle/fly box, it would have to be really tiny to fit in there e.g. it would not hold anything useful tackle wise.   For comfort and actual desire to wear it all the time, it was a great purchase.  FYI I have a trident 13, not sure how the seat compares to the prowler, but it is a reference point.  P.S. The crappy tire gel seat makes a big difference to the out of the box OK seat.
John

Offline Wayne

• CKA TEAM
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:14:11 PM »
I hope this isn't too redundant as Rock Bass has hit some points while I was writing this up - good stuff :)

I have Stohlquist's fisherman vest
http://www.stohlquist.com/dyn_prod.php?k=29467&p=STO5226

Do you not want this one because of the extra cash or is it the design?

To be honest, I have been surprised on how little I use those drawbridge pockets. Anything bulky in front of you while you're sitting on your kayak can be a bit of a pain. I've only been keeping my fishing license, some strike indicators etc. in there. Looking straight down into a pocket while your sitting isn't the most comfortable on the eyes.

That being said, the hard shell on these pockets has kept things protected and keeps them from catching on anything while you move - I think I would still buy the same pfd. All I'm saying is that you may find that it's not the storage solution you were thinking it would be.

If you were fishing in rougher conditions in the salt with that chinook, anything in those pockets would be soaked and not well protected. It looks like they put grandpa's fishing vest on top of a pfd with all that loose fabric to sag and get soggy, and again, to catch on things. Just my impression...

Did you see the spoon hanging from the forceps? I don't think the photographer fishes lol  ::)
http://www.stohlquist.com/zoom_img.php?k=29467&p=STO5321&t=add&m=6

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents or even less on the subject. Keep it as sleek as you can and don't worry about it functioning as a tackle box but rather to keep a few standard items at hand.

Wayne
Kamloops, BC

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 12:46:53 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.  Interesting that the storage isn't as handy as I thought it might be.  Wayne, I didn't even realize they made two versions.  The one I posted was at Western Canoe and Kayak in Abbotsford and my search of Stohlquist brought the same one up.  I think I like the design of yours better.

I laughed at the spoon as well.  Marketing people should have to use products they market so that they can realize how crazy they are sometimes.

So to both of you then, would I be better off looking for a pfd without pockets?  Do you find the pockets more of a pain in the #$$?
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline kayakman

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:54:42 PM »
I have the same PFD as Wayne. I find the pockets useful for tools and small assorted items like snaps, leaders and weights. The idea of the hard pockets is so you can open the pocket and it folds down to provide a hard surface for working on. Bottom line is that this PFD is comfortable.

Tim

Offline Wayne

• CKA TEAM
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
No, I believe I would still buy the same pfd if I was getting one today. I do like to have some things like Tim mentioned handy. There is some added versatility to having the pockets. The hard shell does give a bit of a shelf to work on and keeps things uniform and as close to the body as possible.

The islets that allow you to string leader/tippet material through seem like a good idea although I haven't used it for that yet. It's been a good and comfortable pfd.

At least you can go and see this pfd on the coast now. I ordered mine without ever seeing it. When I was at Western Canoe in March they had it in stock so phone and see if they have one in. That would make things a lot easier for you.

Take care :)
Kamloops, BC

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 01:42:41 PM »
You'll need a convenient place to put your granola bar wrapper after you ate it.  I don't have a problem with the pockets getting in the way.  If I end up needing tackle, fly, swivels, steel leaders, sinkers or otherwise, it is all behind me in my tackle box (or in the rod pod).  I thought I would use the pockets for tippet, split shot, strike indicators, etc because of my fly fishing background, but usually only change flies not split shot or leaders.

The pockets are useful, but probably not for fishing gear, think sunglasses, license, granola bar, pocket knife, maybe forceps/nippers on a lanyard (don't need pockets on these jackets for that).

If you can try one on go for it, here I'm limited to Can Tire, a specialty shop for white water (some cottage/touring).  The Chinook was way less than anything I could get from the specialty shop, way better than Can Tire.  I did a lot of online reviews and ended up with that from Austin Kayak with some of basics I needed or thought I needed (I got the orange because of the low visibility of my sand coloured kayak, yellow was not to my taste).  Also, universal fit is too large of a size range, could end up having extra straps hanging out of the side, that could get in the way, I mentioned that because the chinook has a universal option.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:44:50 PM by Rock Bass »
John

Offline k4l3

• Seasoned Angler
  • Prowler 13 Angler
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:51:15 PM »
Those were the 2 PFD I was looking at earlier this spring, end up getting the Chinook "Orange" mainly 1 reason.
it was lighter, thinner material, wasn't as bulky in the front for those hot summer days.

Buying a new PFD was more for the highback but having the pockets was bonus..  I keep my camera in one of the pocket and maybe bag of plastic in the other.   hang pair of pilers on the rod keeper strap.

On KFS site there been few review for both PFD... There was one con for the fishermen that I thought was interesting, one guy said he had hard time getting back into the kayak because of the front pocket.
Prowler 13 Angler
Downtown Toronto...

Offline Wayne

• CKA TEAM
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 01:41:21 PM »

it was lighter, thinner material, wasn't as bulky in the front for those hot summer days.

There was one con for the fishermen that I thought was interesting, one guy said he had hard time getting back into the kayak because of the front pocket.

My pfd was quite warm yesterday sail-yaking, there's no doubt about that. I think there's a temperature where you may want to switch to a Mustang inflatable and a UV fishing shirt. Can't recommend this one enough. I have it in white and man it keeps you cool and protected from the sun:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10201210____SearchResults

I have practiced flipping my yak and getting back in with all my equipment on and didn't find it a problem, BUT I can definitely see how those rigid pockets could hinder somebody when getting back in. Sorry about my stupid 'grandpa' comment earlier. I wrote that before I saw your reply as we were replying at the same time. Maybe it's just finding one that's the least pain in the ass.

Kamloops, BC

Offline rrdstarr

• Ultra Light
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 11:26:47 PM »
I have a self inflating Mustang that I use on the smaller protected lakes then use my Kokatat out on the ocean.  Thinking I might get a fishing PFD next spring.  Problem is finding a comfy XXL one.
This is what I have but Mango in colour.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:38:56 PM by rrdstarr »
-Rick
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Pygmy Borealis XL w/ Scotty rod holders

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 06:34:39 PM »
Well I have made a decision for my PFD replacement.  I took all your comments into consideration and think that I may have found a PFD that will truly be functional.  I've decided to go with the KOKATAT TOUR.

My reason for this decision is as follows:

1. After carefully thinking of what I would use pockets for I realized that pockets would only be valuable for very small items and safety gear such as VHF radios, GPS, whistle....
2. After trying this PFD on I was quite happy with the comfort level and thought the pockets didn't stick out too far even with items in them.
3. A huge bonus was that I found this PFD at MEC in North Vancouver For $105.

Thanks for all your input.  If any concerns come up after I am able to use the PFD I will definitely keep you posted.

Cheers
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Old School
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 07:24:36 PM »
nice choice :) You will find that your shoulders will feel sooooo much better with this bad boy!

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 07:53:36 PM »
I forgot a word in the description.  It's the Kokatat Bahia Tour.
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline Wayne

• CKA TEAM
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »
Looks like good gear, definitely report back after your wrist gets better.

I know you didn't post that you cut it with a utility knife here but I saw it on the northwest site when I went to check out what others there were saying about the different pfd's. Hope it heals fast and well.
Kamloops, BC

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 01:44:27 AM »
Thanks Wayne.  Looks like it will be at least another 3 weeks before I can even hold a paddle. >:(  Just heading up to Vernon tomorrow to spend some time at the lake.  The wife is excited because I bought her a WS Tarpon 140 this week and pick it up in Vernon tomorrow from Valhalla.  I will sit on the beach sippiing cold ones while she paddles around I guess.
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Tags: