Recent

Author Topic: Paddles  (Read 4018 times)

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
  • If Fishing Is a Sport I'm An Athlete
Paddles
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:20:16 PM »
I know everyone prefers somthing different but I'd like some input on what paddles ya'll are using any help would be appreciated. Also safety wise, what do you require in a kayak for safety gear? ie: whistle, floating heaving line,pfd and such?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:46:48 PM by HiredGun »

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
Re: Paddles
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
I just use a basic paddle cost about $60, as for safety it depends on where you are fishing. I fish mostly on the salt so i have to be alot more particular than if I was on my local pond, I have a GPS incase the fog comes down, I use a cell phone but am looking into getting a VHF radio, and dress for the conditions, I'm getting a dry suit soon. When it comes to safety common sense is the best thing to take with haha, people that that leave that behind usually get into trouble.

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 06:34:48 PM »
Tha't some great advice,I look forward to getting into some salt this summer.I had a dry suit one time as well as a wet suit but neither would fit me now...lol

Offline Jason Holweg

• Local Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:03:30 PM »
I have a Aqua Bound 2pc. Graphite, carbon fiber mix. Not the most expensive paddle out there but not the cheapest either. Works good in both hot and cold temps. Had it for three seasons and love it, no complaints.

I have one of those safety in a can Fox40 set ups in my yak. Has all the stuff I need to fish the waters here in Ontario.

Hope this helps
Jason
He who misses the most days of work, catches the most fish.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 04:54:05 AM »
buy the best paddle you can afford.
lighter/stronger the better, it'll make your day a hell of a lot easier.
there is a difference in paddles out there.
make sure you get properly fit for your height, paddling style, and boat.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Delta Catfish, Necky Chatham
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:42:02 AM »
It really depends what you will be doing.  As paul was saying the salt just amplifies the need for equipment.  On fresh water the paddle won't matter as much because you won't be covering as much water (although Kinsac might be an exception to this), and probably don't need anything more than waders and a dry top.  Whereas if you plan to fish the sea you will need (depending on the season) a dry suit, vhf radio, gps, light, higher-end paddle for long trips, reflective tape, flare gun.  Of course many of those things you can get along without (the gun and radio especially) but everything helps with peace of mind.

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Offline Laurentian

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:48:56 AM »
I know everyone prefers somthing different but I'd like some input on what paddles ya'll are using any help would be appreciated. Also safety wise, what do you require in a kayak for safety gear? ie: whistle, floating heaving line,pfd and such?

Hi HiredGun, as far as PFD is concerned, is worth mentioning? Always wear it!. Also you will want to try & find one specifically made for kayak fishing, don't just buy you size, try it & maybe bring the kind of heavy weather clothing and make sure the PFD fits over that...

The lower part of the back should be mesh, to accomodate your seat back so the PFD doesn't ride up to your chin... ::)

Hope this gives you some insight ;)

Salutations

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »
Its funny that nobody (including me) mentioned the most IMPORTANT thing, a pfd haha. This you must not skimp on and get a kayak specific one otherwise you'll regret it after a couple of hours paddling.

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 11:25:44 AM »
and don't forget to practise self rescue Before you go out on the big water. It'll give you piece of mind knowing you can get back on the boat if ya fall off or get knocked off by a wave. Here's a question for the ocean guy's. Do you teather yourself to the boat? The things I've read say no, but I think that's more for rivers and such, so the boat doesn't drag you down the rapids upside down. But if you're on the ocean I wouldn't want the boat going one way while I drift off to Portugal. It's one thing to run down the shore chasing your  kayak down the Bow river, and quite another to hitchhike home from Lisbon.
Rick
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
That is some awsome info guys and it's muchly appreciated. I have taken a kayak course..it was nott mandatory, just somthing I wanted to do for myself when I bought my first kayak.I allready own a flare gun it's one that looks like a pen.I've been looking online at pfd's for yaks.

Offline D

• Ultra Light
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »
Transport Canada has some safety requirements too, at this website:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-equipment-size-unpowered-192.htm

As far as I can tell, for Kayaks you have to have (I think all of these have already been mentioned):

Certified PFD
Waterproof flashlight (if the boat is used during dark or fog conditions)
Buoyant heaving line at least 15 m (49’3”) long
A sound signalling device (like a whistle)
A magnetic compass "A magnetic compass is not required if the pleasure craft is 8 m (26’3”) or less AND is operated within sight of seamarks (navigation marks)"....So I think in Ontario if you are heading to the middle of a Great Lake maybe you need one, but otherwise not.

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »
Thanks D ;)

Offline Alan High

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
I bought a PFD that was designed for kayaking years ago - even though I was canoeing at the time. They are shorter in the torso and designed to fit above a spray skirt. Mine has 4 pockets on the front and D rings for a whistle, forceps, keys... I would think that wearing a standard length pfd in a kayak, it would be up around your chin all day.

Alan

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 01:32:14 AM »
you need a floating throw line and a noise maker besides the pfd, and a bailer if in a sis, a light at night. i consider a knife essential too, it could save your life, it`s saved mine several times now.
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Tags: