Recent

Author Topic: A bass trip to Ireland  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Dorado

• Ultra Light
A bass trip to Ireland
« on: September 12, 2011, 05:18:07 AM »
I can't find a catch reports section - I am tripping up over the sections in this forum. Is there a catch report/fishing report section anywhere, because I can't find it!

Anyway, I had a couple of days over in Ireland to chase the bass. Up at sparrowfart to be on the water at 05.30. I dragged myself out of a very hospitable bed at 05.30! ;D I was on the water by 06.00 though, but it was flat calm,not ideal conditions to go bassing. I prefer some wave action to break up the surface and it stirs the fish into action too.

I paddled out and round towards the bay I was going to fish, and saw a good reef break off th epoint. That was my target, the only white water on the shoreline, so I made a beeline for it.

I set up my drift so I was just on the edge of the building wave, with the toothy rocks inches below my seat, but out of the white water, so I could cast into it and fish the backwash. On the third cast I got a good take that tried to pull me into the reef break - I had to get the paddle out and back paddle, letting line out, to get the kayak in clear water.

This was the result, a good fish of 5lbs 12ozs

I thumbed it to get control and land it. No more messing about with landing nets for me, they just get in the way and are too slow. I might lose the odd fish, butnot if they are hooked properly - and if it gets off, well it is only doing my job for me a bit prematurely!

Measured, weighed and scales taken for the BASS scale reading project it was returned:

I had good feelings about this morning now! I set up another drift exactly, or as close to exactly, the same as before and it had the same result, another bass of just a bit smaller at 5lbs 8ozs, again measured, weighed and scales taken.

I fished on and got 6 in toal, the biggest was 6lbs, the smallest was 4.5lbs and two pollack, one of about 4lbs and the other I didn't get close enough to guess before it threww the hook on the surface, under the bow of the kayak. Nothing special, a 2lber ish.

All the fish fell to the same fly, one of my signature flies:

A couple of other pictures from the day.

This morning was worth the trip on its own! Well pleased.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: A bass trip to Ireland
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 05:28:52 AM »
what a beautiful fish!!

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 06:08:53 AM »
I love Bass, hopefully will get one in the next couple of weeks ;D

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:57 PM »
That looks like it was a lot of fun. Great photos. I would love to do some out of country fishing. Sometime soon I hope. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Tags: