240cm
8 (53.3%)
250cm
3 (20%)
260cm
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 08, 2012, 01:55:12 AM

Author Topic: Paddle Lengths?  (Read 4176 times)

Offline baysel

• Gear-hooker Upper
  • Local Pro
    • Western Canoe Kayak
Paddle Lengths?
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:55:12 AM »
Just curious what people are going with for paddle lengths on some of the new fishing kayaks. There are several boats on the market now with adjustable height seats. I was out on a Jackson Coosa the other day and found the 230cm to be to short with the seat in the higher position. I know on some of the non-standing boats you can still use a 220cm comfortably.

Are there many people that plan to trade in their kayaks for ones designed to stand in?

Mostly curious as to what I should stock for fishing kayak paddles this year.

Thanks for any insight.

westerncanoekayak.com

ryan (at) western canoe kayak (dot) com

Hobie, Jackson Kayaks, Wilderness System, Ocean Kayak, Clipper Canoes, Werner, Kokatat, Adventure Technology, and I'm sure there is more.
Fraservalleywhitewater.com

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Tournament Planner
  • Old School
Re: Paddle Lengths?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:38 AM »
240s allow for a decent fishing paddle. Not always banging the boat and spooking the fish. Most of the guys on here arent paddlers turned anglers. We paddle for a purpose. I personally dont care much for the paddling side of things. I just like it when I get there and can fish. When I troll though I like to be able to have more length to get teh speed I want and not hit the boat. What kind of paddles come in 260cms

Offline Fishnhound

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »
Because of the high seat in the Coosa and Cuda I'm in for 240cm.Because I stand a lot the length is nice.
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline baysel

• Gear-hooker Upper
  • Local Pro
    • Western Canoe Kayak
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:35:52 PM »
If a company came out with an adjustable length paddle, maybe 240-255cm? Would that appeal to anyone?

How about a removable blade to put a handle on, kinda like a convertible stand up paddle board paddle handle?

Other ideas?
westerncanoekayak.com

Hobie, Jackson Kayaks, Wilderness System, Ocean Kayak, Clipper Canoes, Werner, Kokatat, Adventure Technology, and I'm sure there is more.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Tournament Planner
  • Old School
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »
That sounds like a good Idea.

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »
paddles are starting to get longer again after shortening up quite a bit about 20 years ago. the blades are also a bit smaller. i like the bigger blades and shorter paddles, but i probably should be using the opposite. what can i say, i like it!

when i take out a novice, one thing they have a problem with and get a bit frustrated about is a one sided paddle. they don`t have years of experience and roll it in their hands on the stroke, then notice they have it backwards and feel like a nube and clumsy. so maybe offering a flat bladed paddle at both beginner and experienced price level might be an idea.

an adjustable length would be great, but hard to achieve in a strong paddle.

a measuring tape printed on the paddle would go over well.

padded or wraped paddle handles, for those cold water fishing days and long spring paddle tours. i will not use a metal handled kayak paddle if it`s not the hottest day of the summer - finger cramps! plastic can be just as bad sometimes.

one with a built in paddle float for sis kayaks might be a winner - almost nobody sells paddle floats and they are recogmended for the sis. the ones for sale are clumsy and have to be put on after the fact, which means in the water you have to dig it out of your mikkcrate (assuming it`s still with the kayak), put it on the paddle (assuming it didn`t sink) and them blow it up. something to put on the wish list anyway.

...how much time do you have?! it`s hard water season and i have lots of ideas, lol.
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline baysel

• Gear-hooker Upper
  • Local Pro
    • Western Canoe Kayak
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »
some good points and ideas,

- most good paddles should have wording on the blades, an easy way for beginners to know what side of the blade to use is to tell them they should have the letters right side up . . . if the blades don't have a brand name on them or something maybe a Canadian Kayak Anglers sticker would work  ;)

- AT had an adjustable length paddle, only 10cm, the blade and shafts were bombproof, the farrel system wasn't however, they have since moved away from it though.

- there are companies that make aftermarket paddle grips that can go on almost ay paddle, Ill try and find the manufacture.

- built in paddle float would be sweet, i don't think i would want one though as it would likely add weight and make the blades clumsy. Most sis kayaks won't have milk crates on them, have seen  few but usually the deck won't accommodate it without some mods. I have tried inflatable paddle floats before and never really liked them, by the time you get it inflated in Canada your probably already hypothermic, and if you let go they tend to blow away if there is any wind. The important thing is not to store your paddle float inside a hatch, lots of people do, but when you need it you end up having to flood the area that should be flotation, and its almost impossible to pump out a hatch once your in the boat. Amazed that you say paddle floats are hard to find, every paddle shop in BC I have been to sells them, we sell hundreds a year. I think once you get closer to the coast maybe some of the rescue stuff is utilized more.

Let me know any ideas you have, I have the ear of a paddle manufacture and they want to make some kayak fishing specific paddles.

How about colour, anyone see the need for there angling paddle to be camo or green? It would be at the cost of safety keep in mind, nothing stands out like a bright red or yellow blade being waved above your head as the drunk motor boater is barking down on you.

westerncanoekayak.com

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Tournament Planner
  • Old School
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:11:34 PM »
The older fishstik AT made was camo. Not sure if they make them that color anymore. I loved that paddle.

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »
i`m actualy on the coast, but it`s the other coast, atlantic canada. i find it strange too but i have only ever seen one paddle float in 40 years of kayaking, and that was all they had in stock. also i wasn`t looking for them often either. i guess we are a bit different here, i have seen a lot of crates on the backs of sis`s here too, mostly on smaller lakes.

back to the float idea, i was thinking a float like a ballon in the handle. peel off the emergency sticker covering it (maybe just above the blade) and blow it up. you would have to cover it with duct taper after an emergency use...or maybe a CKA sticker! maybe not possible, but an idea anyway.

the main problem with getting the paddle backwards isn`t that they can`t see that the handle has turned over, it`s that they know it turned over and can`t stop repeating the problem, spinning the paddle as they are paddling. with a strait blade, this problem just doesn`t come up..

the paddle wrap would also work for rods, i use electric tape on them now for fishing cold weather. i have also used "molehair" for this.

removeable hooks/spikes would be an idea, for ice and around structure. it`s nice to be able to pull yourself towards something, or hook onto it for a bit. this is not for everyone, not something i would suggest for a novice. when i broke a paddle this past summer, while i was repairing it i really missed being able to grip the rocks with it. being able to remove them would make it even better.

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »
ohps, i forgot color. orange, red, camo - anything but white. my reason is for safety around hunting areas.

Offline wilderness

• Ultra Light
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »
The older fishstik AT made was camo. Not sure if they make them that color anymore. I loved that paddle.

The Fishstix is still available with the new synapse ferrule so you can change the feather but not the length. I use this paddle for fishing as it is light and the ergo is easier on your joints.

K

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Tournament Planner
  • Old School
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »
I got to try that out when I last saw you at Moutcha. That is a mint paddle for sure!!

Tags: