Recent

Author Topic: Trailer Build  (Read 2976 times)

Offline c.lewis

• Local Pro
Trailer Build
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:56:17 PM »
Hey all.  I decided to build a trailer to haul my yak(s) around as more and more often my buddy is coming fishing with me, and my girlfriend likes to come along now and then too.

I found a "Project Trailer" on kijiji for $100.00. 4'x9' utility trailer frame, no floor, cheap lights, not wired, and sitting on tiny little tires. (4.80x8's)

Over the last 2 days I gathered up what I needed to make it road worthy for its maiden voyage this Monday, and got to work today.

I painted the frame, added reflector tape, gave it a floor, new rims and tires (5.30x12's  sits much nicer now.) Wired the lights, New bearings, and built the racks for the yaks.

All I have left to do tomorrow is add a few eye bolts for tie downs, and put the new safety chains on it. If I have time and ambition I'll build my back gate and maybe close in the sides.

Future plans for the finished product...
-Switch lights to LED's and add markers.
-Close in the sides
-Build storage units.
As for storage goes, instead of building a huge box, I'm going to build one long box probably 12"h x 8"w x 8'L and build dividers into it, to store 8 rods and make it lock-able. And for all the other gear, I found Plano weather-proof storage lockers. Heavy duty plastic tote style boxes, that I can mount right to the floor, and lock them if I need to.

Here are some pics of the progress so far...

If Fishin's A Sport.. Then I'm An Athlete!

Offline Transplant

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
Re: Trailer Build
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »
Nice trailer, beats buying new! Only recommendation I have for you is you might want to add some supports off the tongue section. There's going to be a lot of stress on that single bar, and depending on how it was attached to the front of the trailer it's liable to end up cracking at some point down the road from vibration, even if it is only carrying a couple kayaks. If you've got a welder a couple pieces of square tube can be welded in on each side of the tongue to make a triangle, if not get some flat iron and bend the ends, drill and bolt them in place to get the extra support. Adding those supports will also provide a base for a storage box up front, it looks like there's plenty of room there.
Truro, Nova Scotia

Ocean Kayak Trident 13
Hobie Outback 'Hank Parker Fishing Edition"

www.nskayakfisher.wordpress.com

Offline c.lewis

• Local Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »
Hey Transplant, I appreciate the advice.  the tongue is 1/4" wall 2x2 that runs about 2/3's of the way to the back of the trailer.  It's tied in fairly well.. lol

I was thinking about a tongue mount box, but I'm on the fence still..  on one hand there's no such thing as too much storage....  On the other, if I go without that leaves me enough room to leave the tailgate down and haul a third yak in the back of the truck.... decisions, decisions!

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »
Nice find.  I am in need of a trailer too.  Not sure what to do yet though.  May be a winter project.
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline c.lewis

• Local Pro
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »
That's my plan for finishing mine off.. Get it functional and safe for the rest of this season, and worry about all the extras through the winter.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
This is awesome.
Over the winter i want to invest in a trailer vs having to put my kayaks on the roof anymore.  I really like this!!

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline c.lewis

• Local Pro
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »
Yeah I drive a 3/4 chev pickup, so mine alone in the back works okay, but the tailgate is down, so I can't keep anything else back there while driving.. And as I mentioned I find myself having company more and more all the time so I think the trailer was a good investment.

So far I have about 320.00 invested and that's brand new rims and tires, lights wiring safety chains, floor bearings..  I figure another 200.00 to complete it over the winter..

A little bit of scavenging and enginuity can go a long ways!

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »
keep updating this thread with your changes. I'm very interested in the progress!!

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline c.lewis

• Local Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »
Will do for sure!
I just got my buddy's and my yak strapped down for tomorrow's trip to the grand. I'll snap a picture of it all loaded up first thing in the morning.  It hasn't been down the road yet, but everything fits well, and feels nice a solid on there.

Tags: