Recent

Author Topic: Lowrance Base Maps on GPS capable Fish Finders - kinda crappy?  (Read 6199 times)

Offline getmoresoon

• Ultra Light
Hey folks.
Took my brand new Lowrance Elite-4 HDI out to 1st Lake by the Saint John airport yesterday. I don't have a Navionics Gold card in this unit, so its base maps only. 1st Lake is on the map when zoomed out, but zoom in? Here I was all over the lake and looking like I'm on land! Not a single track appeared to be on water.

I understand not having quality topo in the base map, but is it really THAT far out to simply show the position of the waterway?

Anyone else have Atlantic Canada experience with the Lowrance Base maps? How do they compare with the Navionics Gold?

Thanks!
Richard

Offline getmoresoon

• Ultra Light
Re: Lowrance Base Maps on GPS capable Fish Finders - kinda crappy?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:49:27 PM »
Hi all, I have a bit of an update... I stumbled across a Quebec outfit called TrakMaps, that just happens to sell TOPO that is compatible with Lowrance GPS's and ChartPlotter combos.

https://www.trakmaps.com/DigitalProductDetails.aspx?p=ta

Claudine, their support person and I have been emailing back and forth a few times today. I sent her a few Google Maps screen shots and coordinates of local Southern NB lakes I fish, and she sent me back screenshots from an Elite-5. If you don't have a bundled Navionics card, then THIS looks to be a great and pretty inexpensive option!

$68 shipped gets you a 2GB MicroSD card with the maps, and about 1.3GB of that is free space for storing Waypoints, Routes, Tracks, etc.

Proof will be in the usage though, so look for another update soon.

Offline getmoresoon

• Ultra Light
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
Attached Screen Shots from my Elite-4 HDI, Lowrance Base maps of 1st Lake by STJH Airport

Offline getmoresoon

• Ultra Light
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 09:05:11 PM »
A few of the TrakMaps Map Samples that Claudine sent along! I think these show enough detail to do nicely!

Offline Mtmouse

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 09:29:42 AM »
I would recommend the Navionics+ card.

Navionics is now accepting competitors cards for activation for the Navionics Update Card for $99. The Update card will allow you to download anywhere U.S. and Canada up to 2GBs. You will also gain Navionics SonarCharts 1ft contours fresh/salt water. The Update card is the Navionics+ card and you get the Freshest Data for one year.

If you go to Navionics.com and click their WebApp link you can zoom into the area you want to fish, to see what type of detail you will get. Click the little sonar icon in the lower left corner to see what the SonarCharts look like.

I just realized, Loch Lomond has no sonar charts. If you had the Vexilar SonarPhone with the Navionics app., you could use SonarCharts Live and chart Loch Lomond.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:41:58 AM by Mtmouse »

Offline getmoresoon

• Ultra Light
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »
Navionics makes a good product, but is it $150 better for the needs of most of us Kayakers?, is the question.  That's a pretty sweet deal if you do own a old competitors map card. But for anyone without, Navionics+ is a $200+tax purchase.

I *DO* really like the fact that Navionics+ does appear to allow you to upload and update via Community edits.

Here for comparison is the Navionics Webapp chart for 1st Lake. No sonar avail. The contour detail "looks" finer, but hard to say how that translates on the Lowrance finders. Don't suppose you can upload a screenshot? (Use these coordinates: N 45 20.701    W 65 52.622)

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 02:08:49 PM »
If you have a smartphone (android or iphone) you can download the navionics map for pretty cheap.  its 15 clams if i remember correctly.  best app i ever spent money on.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers