Recent

Author Topic: Fish Grip vrs Rapalas Fish Grip  (Read 5487 times)

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
Fish Grip vrs Rapalas Fish Grip
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »
I found recently that the Fish Grip company had a pretty close copy of there product. The Fish Grip products i've used for a few years now when needed and found to be a pretty good product. Surprised to see Rapalas pretty much copying it though with it being pretty close in design. The reviews for it have been mixed however. Legal challenge perhaps, will wait n see on this.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: Fish Grip vrs Rapalas Fish Grip
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:23:57 AM »
They are rather similar but they do have differences.  Given there are changes made, there isnt much a company can do.
This happens all the time in most industries.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:16:07 PM »
Yep. Plenty of this going on. At least i know the original is American made .

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:08:45 PM »
And the Rapala one made in Estonia ?  :D
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 03:02:50 PM »
Rapala might be paying royalties in order to manufacture these. If not they are screwed if United Plastic Molder's takes them to court.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
Given how big Rapala is, I'm very certain they have done their due diligence here

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 04:33:50 PM »
Yep i would think they did. Another interesting fact is the original name . Flex Heart Fish Holder . That explains the heart shape at the gripper end.

Offline Boknows

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »
Handy little item, I only use mine for toothy fish, walleye, pike....not Muskie...think a decent muskie would destroy them with a quick twist...I've seen guys use them on bass ...lock the bass up and put it back in the water while they get the camera and bump board ready....that scares me...If I had a big fish for a tourney and those grippers let go for some 'Murphy's Law' reason i'd be pissed...anyone practice this?
Windsor, Ontario

If your not livin on the edge, your takin up too much space!

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 06:51:58 PM »
Handy little item, I only use mine for toothy fish, walleye, pike....not Muskie...think a decent muskie would destroy them with a quick twist...I've seen guys use them on bass ...lock the bass up and put it back in the water while they get the camera and bump board ready....that scares me...If I had a big fish for a tourney and those grippers let go for some 'Murphy's Law' reason i'd be pissed...anyone practice this?

I saw first hand what a big muskie can do to a fishgrip.  Snapped like  a toothpick. 

Pretty sure Mightmouse and someone else (a top Tournament angler from Texas)  I fish with hold the bass with there fishgrip while getting ready to take the picture.  I feel the same way, would never trust the grip to hold.   I leave the fish in the net, haven't had one jump out yet, not even close.  That is why I use a big net.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline Boknows

• Old School
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »
Also gone to a bigger net for that reason....although I have mastered (contrary to a video I'm in) to get set up and pic snapped pretty quick...getting fish back in water in no time...I've never had a fish die on me yet...anyway, good post Shooter...I'm sure someone will have a pair of the Rapala grips to report on
Windsor, Ontario

If your not livin on the edge, your takin up too much space!

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 11:43:06 PM »
I use a larger net and after netting the fish slide the handle between my legs to hold it in place with the fish in the water. Then get things ready.

I also have a pair of fish grips that I use in situations where I do not want to lose the fish during photography or for locking onto say a pike to big to net.

You definitely can't count on the fish grips to hold a big pike and if you try to fight them they will wreck their fragile jaws. The key I have found is to let the fish grips hang free from a bungee lanyard and then if the fish twists there isn't a large force and they don't break free they just twist up the bungee. This leads to far fewer messed up jaws and also fewer fish breaking free, it takes a little practice to get used to letting go of the fish when it fights then the regular impulse to hold on tightly.

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 07:48:12 AM »
Lip grips of any sort should not be used on large fish. If they flip and your holding it it can tear a monster hole in the fishes jaw. I've seen it first hand, the flesh of the fish will give before the gripper....the only time these things should be used is on smaller fish with not much weight behind them bass and the like. I used to be a believer in using it on toothy critters. But a net is all that a guy requires, so some fish get away with out a pic, at least I haven't maimed or harmed the fish.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:51:13 AM by Kayak Curtis »
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline Thumper

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 10:21:53 AM »
I've used mine on toothy ocean fish - ling cod, rockfish and even a 4ft nurse shark once. I never had any problems with them opening, or any damage to the fish.
Canmore, Alberta
Hobie Nation
P.A. 12
Outback
Adventure Island
Sport

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 12:17:38 PM »
No damage you were aware of...
I would suggest doing a little research on these tools. Plenty of studies have been done and I can't find one that shows these things in a positive light.
Sure fishermen love them and praise them, but largely disparaging remarks from scientist, biologists and the like.
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »
It largely depends on the species of fish what damage can happen.

Pike have very fragile jaws along with a habit of twisting which can lead to ripped or broken jaws if you aren't careful.

Many other species have much tougher jaws and if used properly these fish grips do little to no damage. The biggest thing to remember is to support the fish by its body not by the fish grips.

Tags: