Recent

Author Topic: 2016 Ocean Kayak Trident 15 Images.  (Read 3357 times)

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
2016 Ocean Kayak Trident 15 Images.
« on: July 12, 2016, 07:03:51 AM »
I love this time of year.
This one is for all you paddlers our there.
Some very cool shots and changes to the T15

I like the Bow rod holders.  This was a good addition.

This rear hatch cover is great. It takes away some of the tank well, but it gives you more hull access, which I'm actually pretty intrigued by.  Im wondering if this will be on the T13.
The new IceBox looks great too. I'll assume this is an added accessory you will need to buy like you do on the Ultra Series.

New Center hull console, which still appears to give the user full Hull access.

I like the pre installed tracks too. they are in places where they are always put anyway so it wont take away from anything.
The new seat looks nice too. This will get rid of the wet bum situation for most folks and looks much like the seat from The Aussie versions of some of OK's designs.

What do you guys think???

(photo credit given to https://www.facebook.com/PacHuntAndFish/)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:20:26 PM by John Gibson »

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
Re: 2016 Ocean Kayak Trident 15 Images.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 07:47:54 AM »
About time OK upgraded it's seat, but it's still way behind everyone else that has lawn chair sale seating with HI/lo options...I'd say too little to late, if they want to stay in the game it's time to do some serious revamps to the entire OK lineup, and this coming from a guy who owns 2 and really likes them.
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 08:09:41 AM »
 This is a complete overhaul of a boat that has stood the test of time for years.
You dont change the whole design overnight.
They took their time to ensure it was done correctly the 1st time while not compromising the performance of this boat and what its designed for. 
There are still ooooodles of boats that dont have raised seating and in fact they should stay that way to meet that market. You fish lakes, and high/Low seats are great for that, but even the Low seat doesnt put you lower in the kayak, which is where you need to be for some certain types of water.
This seat is different than the high/low seats.
This is a good middle ground between a sit inside touring kayak and your newer sit on top kayaks.
The fact of the matter is, the higher the seat the worse your center of gravity is, which makes a boat of this width less stable.

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Online Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:52:47 AM »
The fact of the matter is, the higher the seat the worse your center of gravity is, which makes a boat of this width less stable.

This, of course, is correct and opens up a whole new can of worms. These larger kayaks are often used on big water where big waves and wakes can be generated very quickly with a higher probability of the kayaker being farther from shore than might otherwise be the case on smaller lakes and rivers. Higher seating = much greater safety risk, particularly on big water. This from a guy with many, many hours in sit-inside touring/sea kayaks on the ocean and other big water. I'm in a 2010 old-seat, Outback almost exclusively for fishing now and am delighted with it, but when I got my first SOT I wondered if I would be able to keep the bottom of the hull pointed at the bottom of the lake, but, as it develops, it hasn't been a problem.

The main message is that almost all boats are mission specific and the further you stray outside that mission the more potential problems you introduce. As Red Green always said, "Safety first!".
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:28:39 AM »
Heres a top look at all 3 models:

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline Yakman

• Seasoned Angler
  • Keep your line in the water
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 10:54:22 PM »
Nice Yaks!!
Very nice!!

Good to see some are still being  paddled

Offline Flyfisher

• Seasoned Angler
  • John 3:16
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 07:12:54 AM »
Sweet, your so right with that John about centre of gravity! Wonder if the new seats will be available by themselves so we can put them in our older boats? or will they even fit? I've owned every fishing model of the ocean kayak. they make great boats with  performance hulls. They are careful to change there hulls making sure everything works together. Great company and still my go to boat for a lot of my fishing here in Ontario!
Ocean Kayak Big Game, Pescator Pro 120, Trident 11

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 07:25:21 AM »
I'll find out if the seats can be bought and are able to be put in older models.

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks: