How to Install a Fish Finder on an Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7

Materials:

Fish Finder (No kidding right?)
Ocean Kayak Ultra Transducer Kit
Household Goop
Female Quick Connectors
Wire
Butt Connectors
Electrical Tape
12v Connector
Dry Box
12v Battery

Tools:
Cordless Drill
Wire Cutters
Wire Strippers
Multi-Bit Screwdriver
Hex Key Wrench

First thing I did was make sure I had everything I needed.  Although this seems obvious, you’ll drive yourself nuts if you’re not fully prepared when you are setting up your work area.  I had a lot of the items I needed kicking around the house so I didnt have to go out to pick much up other than my Household Goop.

The first bit of business was to remove the plate that comes pre-made, and designed for mounting your fish finder:

20130610_182325

I removed the 7 screws using the Hex key holding it in place, and pre marked where I wanted my humminbird fish finder to be on the plate.  My fish finder mount had to be set to the left side of the plate so I would be able he head mount in the center hatch.  This took a bit of trial and error, but I eventually got it set properly and pre drilled the holes for the mount.

The next step was to string the hummindbird power cable, and transducer cord.  Before I strung the transducer through the scupper hole, I connected the “Ultra Transducer Kit”

20130610_182452

20130610_182521

20130610_182739

This was easy enough to put it together.  The part that holds the transducer in place is made of a solid rubber material that will take a beating.  The Pin itself is a hard plastic, as is the wingnut.  (This was a surprise to me, but I’m glad.  I fish a lot of salt water and I think this would have rusted if it was metal).  Once I had this together I strung the cable up through the bottom of the hull and put it through the metal hole provided in the front of the hatch cover.  There was a lot of slack so I had to zip tie a lot of it.  Luckily there is enough space provided so you don’t have to cut and splice anything.  When you tighten the transducer in place make sure you line up the wire with the groove in the scupper.  This will avoid the wire being pinched and potentially ruining your expensive Transducer cable.  Putting it in place was a bit tricky, and I can see how someone with big hands would get frustrated…. Luckily I’m tiny and didn’t suffer this fate.

20130610_182333

20130610_183956

After I had the transducer cable set, I put the power cable through the same spot.  You dont have to keep a bunch spooled in the same spot due to you having most of it in the hull of the kayak.  (when you choose the screws to hold your fish finder on the plate, make sure you choose the right lenght.  I went with one inch screws so they didnt dig into the spool up wire in the above picture. it seemed to work well for me).

I only had to drill one small hole (5mm drill bit).  To do this, I went through the bow hatch, and drilled into the middle scupper

20130610_195724

20130610_195714

The transducer itself is set nicely, and will give me a much better signal than through the hull of the kayak.  Ocean Kayak really did well with this scupper set up.
20130610_204626

I strung the power cable through the hole, and then “Gooped” the wire in place.   (Ive been using “Household Goop” for all my kayak mods where I needed to hold something in place.  Its as waterproof and UV resistant as Marine Goop, but a couple dollars cheaper… It also comes with an pointed applicator that the Marine Goop doesn’t provide :D)

When everything was where I wanted it to be, I mounted my fish finder: and tested the connections.

20130610_194154

Sorry for the blurry shot 🙁

On to the Battery box
Ive been using this drybox for my keys, spare batteries, wallet for a few years.  I decided it could be used as a dry storage for my fish finder battery after I seen a post on another site.

I drilled a hole in the side of the box to fit the 12v connector. I made sure the hole was a bit smaller than the connector, then slowly filed the hole to ensure it made a tight fit.  It came with a positive and negative leads already set, so I cut some 14 Gauge wire connected female quick connectors to both ends….  The Battery fits in the box nicely, I put some foam I had from a Pelican case on the sides to ensure it doesnt bounce around.   Afterwards I sealed up the spots where water could leak in with Household Goop, and let dry.

20130610_204039

20130613_203220

20130613_203210

20130613_203202

It’ll sit in the hull:

20130610_204517

So in total I drilled one hole in my Kayak for this project.

Share
This entry was posted in How-To's, Kayak Rigging. Bookmark the permalink.